What is commercial Christianity? It's not only about the pillow pushers who sport their crosses to sell their products, or the presidential politicians who hold their bible high in the air to support their agenda. It is not the begging commercials you see everyday on television that play on your feelings, or even the never ending phone scams and mail subscriptions that prey on the elderly. The real culprits are those religious leaders that are still using the Word of God to push traditions of men, false teachings, political proposals, and a way to get deep into your pockets.
These cult like organizations give you the comfort of social club Christianity, but they are not teaching the full truth in God's Word, that will set you free from bondage and denominationalism. You conform to their way of thinking and teaching, or you will not be accepted into their organization. They turn their churches into a social club rather than a house of God. Jesus set an example of this back in the book of Matthew. And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves. (Matthew 21:12). Jesus came to the temple and it was filled with a bunch of scammers. (the money changers). The money exchange was a rip-off. (the exchange was way to high). If you were too poor to sacrifice an expensive lamb or goat, you could buy a clean dove as a sacrifice from the temple. (The sacrifices were to be approved by the priests). However, these guys were selling mite infested doves in the streets for a cheaper price. (Rip-offs then, rip-offs today). Jesus addressed these men... And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves. (Matthew 21:13). They turned the temple of God into a house of thieves! Many churches do it today. (Always begging for money). Their are a few good teachers out there, but not many that teach the truth of God's Word (full gospel of God), leaving out church doctrines and traditions of men.
In the book of Corinthians the Apostle Paul would speak of these false teachers. For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ. (2 Corinthians 2:17). Speaking of those deceivers and hustlers who peddle the Word for profit. Paul would go on to say... But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God. (2 Corinthians 4:2). True believers will reject all the dishonest and underhanded methods of false teachers. That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive. (Ephesians 4:14). True Christians will not listen to those who try to turn truth to a lie. False teachers and those who follow and teach traditions of men.
The Apostle Paul warns us of these false teachers who will follow Satan in the end times. For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way. (2 Thessalonians 2:7). The work this man of rebellion, will do when he comes is already going on. "We are speaking of Satan here." That war in heaven is already taking place till Michael cast Satan out of heaven. (Revelation 12:7-9). The key word here is "letteth" (katecho), Greek Strong's 2722, meaning to hold, keep, or retain. Michael the ark angel is the one holding Satan in heaven until he casts him out.
And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming. (2 Thessalonians 2:8). This wicked one will appear and only be allowed a short time to do his work; till the Lord consumes him with the "Holy Spirit" and destroys him with the brightness of the Lord's presence.
Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders. (2 Thessalonians 2:9). We are speaking of one of Satan's roles as antichrist. He will trick everyone with strange demonstrations, great miracles, and lies, because he is the father of lies. (John 8:44).
And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. (2 Thessalonians 2:10). He will completely fool those who refused the truth of the Word that they might be saved. "Those who follow Satan will perish." Once saved always saved? I don't think so.
And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie. (2 Thessalonians 2:11). According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear;) unto this day. (Romans 11:8). Here it is, the spirit of slumber (spirit of deep sleep), written here and in the old testament. (Isaiah 29:10). "To this day He has shut their eyes so they do not see, and closed their ears so they do not hear." If you want to be ignorant of God's Word and follow lies, deception, and traditions of men; God will send you strong delusion to believe those lies. "He will close your eyes to the truth." Look at how people are so comfortable with their teachings. "Comfortable with their spirit of slumber." Paul goes on to say... That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness. (2 Thessalonians 2:12). They will all be judged for believing falsehoods, refusing the truth, and enjoying their sins.
Truth in God's Word is so important to one's salvation. Once you know the truth; it will set you free from religion and the teachings of this world. True Christians do not try to trick or distort the Word of God to fit mans needs. (1 Thessalonians 2:3-5). We tell the truth before God. (Chapter by chapter and verse by verse). "Those who are honest know this." Below we are going to compare the differences between commercial Christianity and biblical Christianity.
The following are contrasts between commercial Christianity and biblical Christianity:
1. Commercial Christian pastors preach culturally accommodating messages. / Biblical Christian pastors preach culturally convicting messages (Acts 2:37-38, Acts 24:24-25).
2. Commercial Christianity encourages adherence to the status quo. / Biblical Christianity encourages reformation of the status quo (Acts 17:6).
3. Commercial Christianity invites. / Biblical Christianity proclaims. (Acts 17:23).
4. Commercial Christianity converts people to their churches. / Biblical Christianity converts people to Jesus (John 1:12-13, Acts 8:35).
5. Commercial Christianity encourages congregational membership. / Biblical Christianity develops world-changing disciples (Acts 6:7, Matthew 28:19, 2 Timothy 2:2).
6. Commercial Christianity is complicit with the powers that be. / Biblical Christianity casts down the ungodly powers that be (2 Corinthians 10:3-5).
7. Commercial Christianity is not distinguishable from the world. / Biblical Christianity lives in the world but is not of the world (John17:14-16).
8. Commercial Christianity is man-centered in its goals. / Biblical Christianity is God-centered in its goals (Colossians 1:15-18).
9. Commercial Christianity elicits praise only from people. / Biblical Christianity brings favor from both God and people (Acts 2:47).
10. Commercial Christianity leaves a legacy of compromise. / Biblical Christianity leaves a legacy of sacrificial commitment (2 Timothy 4:6-8).
11. Commercial Christianity attracts followers by compromising the truth. / Biblical Christianity attracts followers through the promotion of the truth (Acts 2:40-41).
12. Commercial Christianity is one step away from being irrelevant. / Biblical Christianity is always in or near revival (Acts 9:31).
13. Commercial Christianity accommodates a backslidden lifestyle. / Biblical Christianity accommodates a lifestyle of faith, fidelity, and freedom (John 8:31-36).
14. Commercial Christianity brings about a commitment to Sunday services. / Biblical Christianity brings about commitment to a life of service (John 13:13-17).
15. Commercial Christianity invites people to make Jesus our personal Savior. / Biblical Christianity encourages people to surrender to Jesus as our Lord so He can save us (Romans 10:9-10).
16. Commercial Christianity teachers say you don't need to study God's Word; just believe. / Biblical Christianity rightly divides the Word of God showing themselves approved unto God. (2 Timothy 2:15).
17. Commercial Christianity gives you a few scriptures to make you feel secure. / Biblical Christianity teaches the full Gospel of God from beginning to end. (2 Timothy 3:16-17, Romans 10:17, Acts 28:31).
18. Commercial Christianity say's you don't need to understand the book of Revelation; you will be gone. / Biblical Christianity reveals what will happen in the end time. (Revelation 1:3).
So remember it's not the fancy building or social club setting that makes a good church. You need to find a good Pastor or teacher that reveals the full Gospel (chapter by chapter and verse by verse), leaving out the traditions of men, and worldly teachings found in most religious organizations.
click here to return to topics
Keep The Faith,
Faith Statement | Bible Study | Christian Topics | Bible Stories | Christian Resources
Since 1997 Erie, Pa USA